Source: Map of Pennsylvania
WelcomeThe Central Pennsylvania Rock and Mineral ClubHarrisburg, Pennsylvania The Central Pennsylvania Rock and Mineral Club, Inc. was established in 1958 by rock and mineral enthusiasts to:Encourage the interest, enjoyment, and appreciation of members, prospective members, and the public for rocks, minerals, gems, fossils, and the lapidary arts.The Central Pennsylvania Rock and Mineral Club, Inc is a non-profit (501c3) educational organization and is a member of the Eastern Federation of Mineralogical and Lapidary Societies, Inc. and a member of the American Federation of Mineralogical Societies.The question asked the most of this website: “Where can I collect?” Join the club! This is not a pitch for new members, it is the best answer. Many sites are never open to the public. Due to our commitment to safety and the fact that clubs like ours carry insurance on each member, quarries and mine dumps often give us occasional access that individuals do not enjoy. Our low membership fee allows you go participate in dozens of field trips each year.
Meet people with similar interestsExciting programs and eventsShow off your newest findsDiscuss upcoming field tripsAnnual auctions for club membersYouth programsAnnual club picnic
The general meetings of the Central Pennsylvania Rock and Mineral Club are held the second Thursday of each month, with the exception of August and December, at 7:00 p.m. at St. Thomas United Church of Christ, 6490 Linglestown Road (Rt. 39), Harrisburg, PA 17112.Meetings vary and have included guest speakers, lapidary demonstrations,auctions, and other group activities such as show and tell. There is also asmall library for members to check out books which may interest them.•The August meeting is our family picnic, which usually includes a collecting opportunity, in addition to good eats and great fellowship.•December features our annual holiday party. Fun, food, and geology secret Santa for all who wish to participate.•Both events are open to all CPRMC members and their families.
Visitors are invited and always welcome at our monthly meetings!
Che-Hanna Rock & Mineral Club, Inc.
P. O. Box 142 Sayre, PA 18840
We talk to each other – We help each other
We teach each other – We smile a lot!
The club was organized in 1962 in Sayre, PA to assemble for the purpose of studying and collecting rock, mineral, fossil and shell specimens, and to develop skills in the lapidary arts. We are members of the Eastern Federation of Mineralogical and Lapidary Societies, and the American Federation of Mineralogical Societies. Our members form an informal group, and welcome any person with a sincere interest in any of the branches of mineral and lapidary arts. The name Che-Hanna, was selected as a contraction of the two rivers, the Chemung and Susquehanna, which meet at Athens, PA.
MEETINGS are held at the Sayre High School (on Lockhart Street) at 7:00 P.M. in the Cafeteria, the 2nd Wednesday each month, except JUNE, JULY, AUGUST, and DECEMBER. Those meetings/events (and any changes) will be announced in the newsletter as to event time, date and location. Visitors are always welcome. There is a parking area on the side facing the hospital and a smaller lot in back via S. Hopkins Street. The red block is the cafeteria. During winter months especially, if the school announces that it is closed, then our meeting is canceled.
GEM CITY ROCK and MINERAL SOCIETY
in the basement of the Renaissance Centre building at
1001 State Street, Erie, PA
on the south east corner of 10th and State Streets downtown.
To find the club, go in the State Street revolving door and look for the stairway down to the basement on the right side of the lobby, or look for the elevators to the right of the lobby and take the third elevator to the basement level. From there you should be able to see the door to our area.
There is a parking ramp next door on the south side of 10th Street between State and French, which should be free on Saturdays and Sundays.
The society was organized in 1858 as a part of the biological and microscopical section of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. A group of 27 professionals mostly medical doctors, met regularly to study the natural sciences under the microscope. In 1925 the group was reorganized as an independent non-profit educational entity under the name …Leidy Microscopical Society. The name was chosen to honor Dr. Joseph P. Leidy, one of the founders and preeminent members of the society. The society met regularly at the Academy for 70 years until January 1995 when it moved to the Northminster Presbyterian Church in Fairless Hills, Pennsylvania. In 2009, the membership is comprised of 30 some people from Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware. the society meeting notes are published in the “Rock Chatter”, the monthly newsletter of the Rock and Mineral Club of Lower Bucks County.